Have you appropriately and timely thanked everyone who has referred you business?
A handwritten thank-you note is always appreciated and becoming a true rarity to receive in our electronic times.
Or, if more appropriate, how about taking the time to take them out to one of their favorite restaurants. And, if that doesn’t seem to “fit,” here are a few more suggestions :
- a gift certificate from a nice restaurant or popular local store
- a basket of fruit or other goodies
- a flower arrangement or potted plant
- tickets to a sporting event
- contribution in their honor to a local charity or cause
- referring business their way whenever appropriate
The critical point is that is we fail to appreciate and express our appreciation for referrals sent our way, the nice folks sending us potential business will stop doing so.
Bottom Line: We can’t take our referral sources for granted or tell ourselves we’re just too busy to take the time to show our appreciation. And, if we are too busy, then we’re too busy to accept the new business referrals as well!