As mentioned in another post, I evolved into SOS free (no Sugar, Oil, Salt) in 2022. I do get a minimal amount each week, but it is truly a very low amount thanks to being far more SOS free conscious now and to improving my pre-purchase food investigative skills.
My latest oil free mayo concoction includes the following ingredients:
- Pour boiling water over about 1 1/2 cups of raw, unsalted cashews and let sit for 20 minutes or a good bit longer. 10 minutes is enough if you are short on time or totally skip this if you have no time to spare....soaking, however, does tend to make sauces creamier.)
- Put the drained cashews into your blender (I love our Vitamix, but for ease of cleaning and a bit less noise to boot, I used our wonderful "Beast" blender - it's great for smoothies, sauces and dressings) with the following ingredients and blend until you get to the consistency you prefer --- keep in mind, it will thicken somewhat once refrigerated:
- 3/4 cup Aquafaba (liquid in cans of chickpeas) or Water if you prefer (I will say, however, this is sooooo good with the Aquafaba!)
- 3/4 tablespoon Apple Cider VInegar (no more or at least not based on my family's taste buds)
- Dijon or dry mustard -- a good size glob or too taste or about 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
- Onion powder - to taste (I used about 1 tsp)
- Garlic powder - to taste (we love garlic so I put in a hefty tablespoon).
- At least a half of a large fresh lemon (again - suit your taste)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (I did not use pepper)
- Optional - I do not think this is needed, but if you prefer sweetening it up a bit, add a pitted Medjool Date or Maple Syrup or another vegan sweetener of your choice.
This is by far our favorite oil free vegan mayo so far. And, as usual with my kitchen creations, I doubled the recipe above to have plenty for the chickpea salad (see photo above) I was also making for dinner and to have plenty left over for the week for sandwiches and other meals (it should store fine tightly covered in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days).
Of course, if you are allergic to nuts or are trying to lose weight, you want to avoid a cashew based mayo, but otherwise this one is sooooo good! Thanks for letting me know what you think in the comment section and as with any plant based recipe, be creatively willing to add or delete ingredients to your liking in this recipe. 🌻